Welcome to The Writer Side of Life 2011!
I like new year. It’s one of my favourite times of year – if not my most preferred following Christmas. The ‘eve’ part is usually spent with friends in silly frivolity, playing games and reminding ourselves why we became friends in the beginning. Its always warm and fun, with any past issues left just there. It is a perfect way to lead into that 1st day, that new day, the day of hopeful beginnings.
It may sound insincere and twee, but I like the optimism that comes with this first day, maybe less so the hangover. It comes to me as a new covering of snow, untouched and clean; beautiful, peaceful and full of anticipation of that first jump into the flurry. Dreams sit unfulfilled and waiting, ambitions itching to take flight and hope, so much hope that this year I will make something of myself . . . and drop a dress size!
I feel the potential every year, yet I am always dubious of laying down actual resolutions and aims. I don’t like the idea of setting myself up to fail from the word go. But perhaps that is the negative Nat within me. I am so worried about destroying the optimism of this first day that the cynic prevents me from setting certain challenges. So, I am not going to make promises I may or may not be able to keep. But I will share with you those hopes that are forming on the blank page before me.
In 2011, I hope that:
- I shall conquer the work-write-life balance finally!
- I shall actually post submissions again and maybe, just maybe, there will be a waiting editor out there, just looking for my book.
- I bake a cake or cookie that comes out AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO! No more random sponge-cake-turning-into-brownies or cookies-like-muffins-tops please.
- I will find the time to write some pieces of vaguely interesting waffle for Mr Reeve over at The Solitary Bee.
- I find more time to read and digest the wealth of literature the world has to offer.
- I will be more fun, less stroppy, stressy and generally petulant this year.
- I shall spend more time with my family.
- I drop that dress size!!
I sincerely hope that this year brings you a step closer to that happiness we all strive to achieve. I wish you well on yet another annual adventure filled with hidden peaks and troughs that enrich our lives. Enjoy this first crisp, clean page. Happy 2011!