The ancient Germanic people once upon a time, used ‘runes’ as the earliest writing system. It was not writing as we know it but simple carvings – therefore mainly straight lines and no curves. Runes would be carved on wood, stone, bones – anything solid enough for the craft. Typically, however, they were carved onto tablets of beechwood known as boks. It seems more than a coincidence that the ancient Germanic word for ‘beech’ was boka. Originally in Old English, boc was attributed to single document but by the 9th Century to was being applied to a set of documents sewn or bound together. This slowly developed to our own word ‘book’.
Urban Dictionary Definitions:
- an object used as a coaster, increase the hight of small children, or increase the stability of poorly built furniture.
- verb meaning to run or to leave in a hurry (do we think this contributor is thinking of the wrong word?)
- the first option given when trying to type ‘cool’ in a text message
- A source of information.
- If you need to look up the definition, you’ve obviously never picked one up in your life.
- 1000 hits of acid
- The thing I am trying to achieve.
- Something in which to escape.
- Useful as a missile during arguments.
- An item that can cause more emotion than even the best made films.
- household insulation.
- A sign of personality dwelling in this place!