As I have just fallen down stairs (doh!) and appear to have damaged an already knackered knee, today’s word is . . .
Pain comes from the Old French, peine, which derived from Latin, poena, meaning ‘a plenty’. Oh, I get that! It is related to the word ‘punish’. Yup, get that too!
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- What happens when you reach into the blender to dislodge a stuck icecube without unplugging it first.
- An unpleasant sensation resulting from exposure to a stimulus that elicits a synaptic response in a pain receptor.
- Nature’s way of reminding you just how good something felt before it started hurting.
- That unpleasent feeling you get when you see a beautiful, intelligent, and all-around genuine woman holding hands with some trendy douchebait and his cell phone
- Weakness leaving the body.
- Something very humorous when it happens to others
- The sickening sensation generated when feeling bones crunch, or other such noise that should not be related to bones!
- Often numbed by alcohol, only to come back with a vengeance in your brain!
- Heartache – not to be confused with heartburn, which also causes the above.
- I understand there is a house of it somewhere?
- The ‘Introductory’ part of The Scarlet Letter – not entertainment I tell you!
- Nicholas Cage, June Sarpong and Sonita. But the three together and you have hell!