Everyone has a book pile – if they don’t then I believe there is something a little lacking in their lives! Or maybe the fact that mine is so large means there is something lacking in mine?! I trust in the first statement. I am happy to be a lover of literature. My book pile, however, was somewhat scattered. I was aware that on several shelves in our house lurked an untouched book, pages I wanted to read but I had forgotten about or simply ‘not got around to’ yet.
I also knew that this scattered arrangement was going to be added to with my newly compiled list of recommendations (courtesy of you, kind readers) as well as dipping into the wealth of Steve-orientated fiction that I had never previously contemplated. So, I decided to rectify the issue. I only got as far as dipping into the bedroom shelves and this is what my pile looks like at the moment (In no particular order):
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Chocolat by Joanna Harris
- Country of the Blind by Christopher Brookmyer
- A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
- The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (mainly because it was £1 and I suspect I will want to read another once I get my mitts on Dragon Tattoo)
- We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- The French Lieutenant’s Woman by John Fowles
- Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allen Poe
- The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
- Shakespeare by Bill Bryson
- Emma by Jane Austen
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- The 13 ½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
- And 8 Daphne Du Maurier books!
Some of the above books are from the recommendations list. Below are those I have been suggested by readers:
- The Water Horse by Julia Gregson – kindly donated and soon to join the pile. Apparently this is nothing to do with a similarly titled film, but having no knowledge of either, I am looking forward to giving it a go!
- The Historian & We Need to Talk About Kevin – both added to the pile over the Easter weekend!
- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson – still hunting!
- A Thousand Splendid Suns – on the pile!
- I, Coriander by Sally Gardner – Book mooched baby!
- The Silver Blade
- The Book Thief
- The Little Stranger
- Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
- The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith – Book Mooched!
- Ripley Underground by Patricia Highsmith
- Ripley’s Game by Patricia Highsmith
- Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
- The Believers by Zoe Heller
- What Was Lost by Catherine O’Flynn
If we add to that my current read, The Scarlet Letter (I persevered) I think I may have enough to keep me going until next summer’s holiday!! Better get reading!