As the inevitable festivities of Easter are on our doorstep, today’s word is . . .
We all know it was the Early Europeans who brought chocolate to our shores from the Aztecs. It was the Aztecs that had a favourite drink called xocolatl. It was made from cacao seeds, spices (usually chilli I think), frothed up and drunk cold. It’s name derived from two other Aztec words, xococ meaning ‘bitter’ and atl meaning ‘water’. The end of the 16th Century saw the Spanish bringing this delicacy home and adopting the name ‘chocolate’. English maintained this term, but for a long time it was only attributed to the drink that came with it. The sweetened chocolate we eat today, was a much later development.
Urban Dictionary Definitions:
- the yummiest, tastiest thing in the whole wide world. chocolate also makes u happy and makes u feel better.
- something women crave
- A drug for people with no money
- health necessity for women
- A candy made from cocao beans invented in the 19th century.
– In 1876, the Swiss discovered the process of adding milk to the chocolate.
- A fairly potent type of Marijuana that is dark and brown in color, sticky, and has a very delicious chocolate aroma.
- Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . sorry, drooling!
- My quiz!