In celebration of today’s ‘holiday’ and in celebration of all those wonderful women out there, today’s word is:
This word is one of those few words that comes from an orignial, ancient stem, over 8000 years old. The Indo-Europeans at this time used the word mater which we see similarities with in many of the modern Indo-European languages; Mutter in German, Mere in French, Mat in Russian, Mate in Latvian, Maire in Armenian and of course our own ‘mother’. The stem is believed derived from the ‘mm’ noise created by suckling babies, but mater also went via Latin to give us various related words such as ‘maternal’, ‘matrimony’ and ‘material’.
Urban Dictionary Definitions:
- Random word when someone says something random and annoying:- Annoyance: “Ewww, What’s that”
You: “Your MOTHER!!”
- The Person Who Might have raised you, normally a woman
- A female human being whom gave birth to you.
- Term of profanity used by most civilizations in the world.
- Used to define something larger or better than anything else.
- The wonderful woman who not only gave birth to me but raised me, cared for me, loved me and made me who I am.
- The lady who taught me how to cook and gave me confidence.
- The lady who encouraged me to go for my dreams.
- The lady who I aspire to be.
- The lady who showed me what true love and happiness looks like!