The word Imbecile comes from the Latin imbecillius which literally translates as ‘having no stick’! The becillius part of the word mutated from baculum which means stick; it is also responsible as a stem to other modern words such as ‘bacteria’. The idea was that someone with an ailing leg was weakened severely without his walking stick. So originally, ‘imbecile’ was someone who was weak or feeble, and from there it was a short step to meaning a mental weakness.
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- Intelligence Quotient Scale:
Moron = 50-69
Imbecile = 30-49
Idiot = 29 & below
- A stupid or silly person named George W. Bush; a dolt.
- A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision. Namely George W. Bush. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
- a human version of a noisy empty can. In other words:
talks much and knows nothing. yea
- Someone of below average intelligence.
- Someone with no common sense; usually manifests itself in male form.
- Gregg (*winks*).
- What I become when in need of sleep/food/sleep/tea/sleep/chocolate/sleep/human interaction/sleep.