Treacle, the by-product of refining sugar, used to be used to wash away the taste of medicine, and until the early 19th Century, the word did indeed mean just that, ‘medicine’. The word medicine itself originally meant ‘an antidote to animals’ poisons or bites’, coming from the original Greek antidotos theriake, through Latin to theriaca, and again through Old French to triacle.
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- molassas, honey is also described as treacle.
- Pronounced ‘tray-a-kul’ – a person who hails from the Mid Wales town of Welshpool. Apparently there used to be (and still may be) a treacle factory there.
- coloquial (UK): An attractive woman.
- A term of endearment.
- Cockney Rhyming Slang, “Treacle tart” meaning sweetheart.
- The best part of bonfire toffee.
- A name my Dad gives me.