This is so me . . .
The meaning of this word is something that I am invariably guilty of; it’s when you get one word confused with another and therefore use the incorrectly! It became a word in English use in 1775, after Sheridan’s book, “The Rivals” in which a character named Mrs Malaprop, made these fundamental mistakes.
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- a word mistakenly used in place of a similar sounding word, usually by the former President of the United States
- This is when someone abuses the wrong worm so you can’t understudy what they’re crying to play.
- A word which purposely replaces another word within a common phrase or addage, with humorous, or ironic intention.
- Something that happens when I try to sound intelligent.
- Something that happens when I obviously haven’t been humiliated recently, allowing others to mock me for my ignorance!
- A belief in sick sticks. I’m hoping the language boffs out there will get my pathetic joke!!