Today I am making a Tiramisu, so . . .
Now, just to confuse the poor spellers among us, myself included, the word dessert, actually comes from a stem meaning desert! Great, that helps the memory know which one is which!!! (yes I am special). Desert a) a large dry barren region, b) abandon, both come from the Latin desererer which means ‘to abandon’. We can attribute the word dessert, meaning the last course in a meal, to the French. In their traditions, the entire table would be cleared, table cloth and all, before dessert was served. Desservir means ‘to un-serve’. So essentially, the French abandonned their meal in order to have the dessert!
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- The fourth “meal” of the day following breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- The excuse for obese to cram their faces with sweets that will later cause them to look in the mirror and ask themselves, “Why am I so fat?”
- A catalyst for entropy (Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society).
- An extremly good looking person of the opposite sex. As good as pie.
- Not a desert.
- Something I am very bad at making!
- An excuse to eat chocolate, whipped cream, sugar, biscuits, cake, cheesecake, mousse, real butter, all the good things in the world.
- The cholesterol portion that Gloria Hunniford can’t rescue you from!