Just because I wanted to know . . .
Word Origins: This word seems to have been first used in English somewhere between 1920 and 1930. It is actually the plural form of the Italian scampo, which I understand to mean ‘escape’ or ‘way out’. Not being able to see how this relates to breaded prawns, it is believed it might be connected to the ancient Greek word, kampè which means ‘bending’ (kamptein ‘to bend’) due to it’s shape.
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- An amalgam or mixture of crustaceans. Not to be confused with theDublin Bay Prawn.
- A person who is inbetween posh and common.
- The combination of being both a Skank and a Tramp.
- The strange breaded, funny smelling stuff I chose in restaurants as a child and loved!
- The strange funny smelling fishy stuff, not wrapped in breadcrumbs and deep fried but covered in white wine sauce, masquerading as real scampi at the very posh restaurant I went to as a child, that I refused to eat!
- A miniature version of any dog named ‘Scamp’.
- A garnish to tartar sauce.