Let’s be a little smushy today:
Origins: the history of the word may be slightly obvious when we think of the ‘Romantic Languages’. Historically the word literally means ‘Of Rome’. As the Roman Empire collapsed, so did Latin, and new languages developed from its stems; French, Spanish etc. These languages came to be associated as Romanicus. By the time the word was in use in France as Romanz, it was actually being used to describe chivalrous tales of knights, ladies and their love affairs. So it came to be in English, the word romance to tell the tales of love.
Urban Dictionary Definition:
- the most weirdest yet exiting feeling ever to be felt in this universe.
- Romance is dead – it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece.
- Romance can keep a relationship alive, or help it begin.
- The candle lit birthday meal to remember.
- My Boy singing two poignant lines from The Libertines’ “Time for Heroes”: ‘How I cherish you my love . . .’ The rest of the lyrics don’t really fit the definition. Might have something to do with the amount of drugs consumed by the writer during its conception!
- Other song lyrics (from ANY song) being replaced with my name, every day!
- Talking about our old age, and how we plan to be deliberately annoying to each other and a burden to our future children.
Happy Valentine’s Day all – please feel free to add you definitions!